In this episode, I’m joined by Francean McCall, director of Functional Education. Francean speaks about how her health forced her to find alternatives to mainstream classroom education and how she built a homeschool empire.
After a career in Hydrology and Coastal engineering, Francean McCall decided to pursue her childhood dream of becoming a teacher. After qualifying, she taught science at a public college before transitioning into the Steiner Waldorf system. When her life took an unexpected turn, Francean needed to find ways to continue her passion for teaching – outside of the traditional classroom environment. She now spends her days reimagining education and co-creating learning experiences filled with wonder and connection.
- How could you approach routine and flexibility in your classroom to better suit the needs of your students?
- Consider further: What alternative streaming opportunities might be possible to better meet the varied needs and learning styles of your students.
Further learning related to this episode/references:
- Functional Education
- About Steiner Waldorf Education
- Embracing cultural narratives
- Kaupapa Māori education
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
- Understanding the Three Levels of Autism
- Teaching Strategies for Asperger Syndrome
- Check out our Episode 6 Pinterest board
Music by Twisterium from Pixabay.
Loved this episode? Find more here.